- Vineyard Region Coonawarra, SA
- Vintage Conditions Winter 2008 provided average rainfall levels which resulted in good soil moisture for vine budburst in early spring. The balance of the growing season provided a slightly below average temperature leading to a desirable long, slow ripening period. Harvest finished in early May for Cabernet Sauvignon with the resultant wine showing good colour and tannin structure and classic varietal flavours.
- Grape Varietal 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot
- Vinification and Maturation The individual Cabernet and Merlot fruit parcels were fermented on skins and rolled twice daily to ensure maximum extraction of colour and flavour. Once the wine was pressed off skins it was pumped to new (30 per cent) and used French, American and Hungarian oak to complete primary and malolactic fermentation. On completion of fermentation the wine was racked off its lees and pumped back into barrels for another period of maturation. Individual wine parcels were assessed before deciding the final blend.
- Winemaker Peter Weinberg's Notes
- Colour Vibrant, bright crimson red with purple hues.
- Aroma Perfumed, fresh fruit driven nose displaying cassis, dark berries and mulberry fruit accompanied by spicy oak characters.
- Palate A rich and powerful palate of cassis, plum and mulberry fruit with strong tannins provided by the Cabernet Sauvignon and mid palate weight provided by the Merlot. Oak flavours from maturation also feature and the wine finishes long with fine tannins and lingering red fruit.
- Last Tasted 01 MAR 2010
- Peak Drinking Best appreciated while the vibrant fruit flavours are still fresh from 2010 to 2015.
- Chargrilled Sirloin, cafe de Paris butter, twice cooked potato wedges and peas;
- Roasted veal cutlets and mixed field mushrooms in red wine sauce
|Year||Show name||Award name||Entry class|
|2010||Cowra Wine Show||Gold||0065|
|2010||Dan Murphy's Wine Show||Trophy||54|
|2010||Dan Murphy's Wine Show||Gold||54|
|2010||Rutherglen Wine Show||Gold||217B|